Thursday, September 09, 2004

my bonny lies over the ocean.....

I'm emerging from my dormancy. I feel like a bear who has been in hybernation, but I've only been neglecting my poor, ever so forgotten, little blog. I remember in the Heart of Darkness ( I feel like I've already said what I'm about to say, but it won't kill a bird to say it again) that one guy that was like a Buddha who spoke as if people did not like to hear about the business of other people. However, the truth of the matter (which was on the test for that section) is that people are thoroughly interested in the lives of others and that is why I believe people sit around and read novel after novel (of blog context), day after day....or the other theory is that you are really bored with nothing to do (aka no-lifeling)...or better yet a creepy person who wants to learn about other people by reading about their "personal" lives....hehe jp.

Well, I've finally found a place to volunteer for my sw class. I basically get to work with communities and teaching them how to advocate their issues for themselves, at the same time learning how and what it means to be involved with advocacy. It's definitely my first glimpse into the life of a social worker and learning what it means to be really "pissed off". Because some of the issues that social workers deal with....are definitely fist raise worthy. I sat in at this meeting that these leaders of an appartment complex and the school faculty were having and it was really intense. Basically the situation is that their appartments are in crap-shap condition and the land lord doesn't care and waits decades before he does anything to fix it. The tenants would write letters, take pictures of their homes, and a whole bunch of other stuff, before anything would get fixed. I could go on and on and on and on about what BAD conditions and how sad the children and families are as a result of the impact all this is having on them. Ultimately, I'm really excited about helping the families find resouces and learn how to type letters and stuff, so it should definitely be awesome. Please pray that I have the energy...cuz I gotta get up mighty early for this business but it's worth it.

How is college you may ask? Well, many people make it a hobby to check up on the freshmen, which is absolutely NOT a bad thing. Not to go all psycho mom...but I really think it's encouraging to see the elders (older classmen) making sure we're all adjusting well, eating right, not getting too much pressure from classes, meeting the right kinds of people, jogging regularly, having a social life, and of course....eating meals with them. Meals are still great ways of fellowship, even in college.....food is one of God's greatest inventions....by far...=P It's one thing to feel welcomed, but it's another thing to feel loved. (is that cheesy enough?) I think I'm going to bed before I choke myself on the sappiness that's coming out of my throat.


No comments:

Post a Comment