Sunday, August 29, 2004

all I want for Christmas are my two front teeth.....

Today was a unique Sunday. So I awoke to a phone call at around 8:40 in which my ride to church called asking if I was ready to go in about 10 minutes. Initially I thought that Justine and I were going to the 11am service, but as it turned out we were going to the 9am one. So using our mad high school getting ready skills, we raced out the doors of jester in 10 minutes flat (or so). Therefore, quite early this morning, we were able to attend Echo service at the first evangelical free church. Since we returned to campus promptly at around 10:50am we decided, what the hay, we'll make good time for Liquid at the utc as well...so thus we went to Liquid and attended our second service of the day. so yeah...church hopping to the max today...not every sunday we get to attend two services at two different places.

Every service will have its own uniqueness and I must say that I enjoyed attending both services. The funniest part about this sunday was that both the speakers spoke from Matthew 10. It's always interesting to see how diverse a chapter from the Bible can be. Although the speakers spoke from the same book and chapter, the context of their messages contained similar, yet quite different orders of business. Both messages were quite convicting, especially since being a disciple and sharing in God's mission are equally defining in the universal basic need of spiritual growth (and yes...that is a universal basic need according to my social work text). There's still much to explore in the realm of church and fellowships here, but God knows the needs I have for my life and in due time He will lead me to the place of best fit.

So right now I'm taking a break from reading: Social Work An Empowering Profession. Let me just say that it is by far the most exciting text book I've ever read in my entire life. From just reading several pages of the text, I've gained a deeper understanding for the profession I hope to be involved in some day. The training provided to social workers encompasses so much, and the demand for these professionals has increased over the years. After reading parts of this first chapter, I've also learned some about the life development of people and the factors that contribute to the overall growth of a person. There are also exerpts of peoples' experiences in the field of social work and it seems very very kewl...to say the least. Just to let you all in on a sneak peek to the life of a social worker, here are some goals that these professionals have.

-Enhance social functional of individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities
-link client systems with needed resources
-improve the operation of the social service delivery network
-promote social justice through development of social policy

sounds kewl no? okay...well I think so....but I may be a bit bias.


No comments:

Post a Comment