Wednesday, June 08, 2005

continued......

15) Academically which did you think was more difficult, high school or college?

For me, first semester of college was a lot easier than high school. Second semester, everything was downhill. In all my high school years combined, I don’t think I had as many late nights as I did my second semester in college. However, I did experience what many people call stress, second semester. I never stress over things, but gosh why did school work have to be the first? Of course, I got over it and as always, stuff got accomplished. Academics are definitely not worth wasting your worries about. Know your priorities and stick to and things turn out good.

16) Have your thoughts/ opinions changed (if at all) regarding religion?

Overall, the things that I believe in have remained the same. What is this question asking me to answer?! About God or about religions? I do think that my “list of questions to ask God when I get to heaven” have increased. It’s okay to say you don’t know something….if you knew it all you’d be God!

17) Have your thoughts/ opinions changed (if at all) regarding people around you?

I think what I thought about people I knew in high school has changed. The things that they do with the newfound freedom of college was quite startling at first and a little bit unexpected. I guess the things that they engaged in were always part of their lives but actually witnessing it was another story. I’ve realized that my relationships with people at home are different when in college. Home and Austin are two completely different worlds. You’ll hang out and be friends with people at home but not at school or vice versa. I guess I have a thought or two about that.

18) Have your thoughts/opinions changed (if at all) regarding life in general?

What a profound question. Questions about life are always rather hard to answer. I think I’ve come to see the things in my life as more of an undeserved blessing. In college, I keep reminding myself that there is a purpose to life, a purpose for the things that happen. There’s a purpose for all the work we do in college and all the people we meet.

30) Name a risk you have taken (if any) and discuss its outcome.
I would say a risk I took was joining social work council and the student volunteering board. It’s always a risk when you do something you’re not completely comfortable with or engage in some activity that you don’t know people involved in. Both of those experiences were great. Initially I wanted to join these organizations to 1. become more passionate about my major, and 2. to meet more ppl. The first was accomplished but the meeting ppl task is always more difficult when both parties have different lifestyles and group of friends. Nonetheless it’s always great getting to know new ppl even if they’re different from you and I highly recommend joining at least one non-Christians oriented org cuz when you’re too submerged in Christian culture it becomes more difficult to relate to people that aren’t just like you. It’s more difficult to be an effective witness that way. Keep an open mind.

31) What is the greatest thing you have achieved?
Wow… what an unhumbling question. I would have to say the greatest thing would be the friendships that I’ve established this year. I’ve found wonderful girl friends that I can cry with and laugh with, who are not afraid to tell me what I don’t want to hear as well as friends who can laugh at and with me. Of course, I did not single handedly achieve this feat. Friends I believe are always a huge blessing from God.

32) Do you like your major? Not just because of the money you’ll make from it…do you seriously enjoy it? Why or why not?

What an honest question. Well, my major is social work. I definitely don’t think I’m in it for the money. If I was…. I’m definitely gonna be in for a huge surprise after I graduate. One thing I like about social work is how it reveals the imperfections of human nature as well as the injustices all around us. Being in social work has made me more aware of the world and how much we need God’s love. I’ve grown more sensitive to the issues that really matter. The things I’ve learned from social work, make the problems in my life seem so small. There are bigger things happening in the world than oneself.

33) What have you missed from home since you came to college?

I missed having a clean bathroom. I missed my sister. I missed having springs in my bed. I missed the at home life and people in my home. Things just seemed so much easier at home.

34) What have you not missed from home since you came to college?
Being nagged when I forget to put away cups and socks…though I know that those things are for my own good. I don’t miss Clements.

35) What is the coolest free thing you have obtained this year?
I’d have to say the sticky notes I got from the Epic people. They were useful and just the right size and I like the colors.

36) In whose dorm room was it the coolest to hang out?
Surprisingly, I don’t think I did much hanging out in other peoples’ rooms. Therefore, I would have to say that my room was the coolest cuz people finally came to visit Juice and I at the end of the year (it’s nice to know that ppl knew the basement dwellers existed). I guess I did hang out the most in my room…more than anywhere else on campus.

37) How did you like your living conditions?
W0054 was spectacular. It wasn’t the best in the world but it was manageable. Once Juice and I spiced it up a little it was the most splendid little place in all of UT. I definitely like having connecting bath cuz…I have a small bladder…therefore nature calls frequently and it’s nice to not have to search for a key to access a potty.

38) What was the coolest thing in your room?
That would have to be Justine’s alarm clock. That thing taught me Chinese!!! It was awesome.

40) What was the coolest outing that you went on?
I must say the coolest…was the surprise Juice threw me. I love surprises…and I got caked (sort of) for the first time. It’s nice being loved. Besides that I think I really liked going to Hula Hut with my small group. I like giving presents and seeing other ppl giving presents so that was a lot of fun. Man…I can actually think of several more things….

41) Which do you like better, Austin or your hometown? Why?
I like Austin’s scenery. I like Houston’s food. I like whatever town my family’s at.

42) What was the most painful realization you made?
Four years is gonna go by way too fast…. And I’m no longer a freshman.

43) What was the most surprisingly revelation you had?
Spending money is easy…it’s making money that’s the hard part. When I realized how much money I’d spent first semester, it was time to get a job.

47) Who/what about college will you miss the most during the summer?
All of the non Houstonian girls!!! On rare occasion I guess I miss the guys too? I miss being able to walk upstairs to get gummy bears at 10:50. I miss how everyone lived in such close proximity. I miss how you could get almost everywhere u needed by foot. I miss independent freedom. I miss random quality chats with my roommate.

51) What was your happiest moment?
The first time my sister called me at 8am on Sunday after I’d gone to bed three hours before. Ooh and when I got to talk to my grandma for mother’s day and realized I still had some good canton left in me.

52) What was your saddest moment?
When Jessica Sun and I mourned the loss of the Rockets

53) What was your most exciting moment?
Watching basketball in my room when the Rockets won a game but even better yet just having the girls ....and LB over=)

54) What is your favorite conversation you had this year?
I’m thankful to say that I did not just have one of them. I had too many to count and I am thankful. I had countless wonderful conversations with my small group girls, other freshman girls and my roommate. I also engaged in some quality talks with a few of the upperclassmen girls and graduated seniors. Thanks for taking me out to eat and pouring out words of wisdom!

61) What advice would you give you incoming freshmen?
In the words of an email
Happy moments? Praise God
Difficult moments? Seek God
Quiet moments? Worship God
Painful moments? Trust God
Every moment? Thank God

No comments:

Post a Comment