Thursday, January 12, 2006

dance around the throne.....

so I was buying apples the other day when i came across the tag "Yakima, WA." Felt sudden nostalgia for the place. When I talk about Washington, most peoples' first assumption is that I'm talking about D.C. Then the second assumption is that I'm from Seattle. In my case, neither of those are true. Most people have probably never heard of Yakima so I was lonely in my acknowledgement of Gala apples being from that place.

There are some days that I really miss being a washingtonian. I like the fact that you can always find cheap skiing and find snow when you want in the winter. I loved living in a small town and having almost nothing and finding great joy in everything that we didnt have. It was awesome how good Chinese food was always a luxury. I liked how driving on the highway wasn't that difficult. Possibly a town they would film "The Simple Life" in =P

I think it's logical to desire simplicity as you age because the aging process often brings more complications. There's also the romantic homeland complex. There's a tendency to romanticize the places you were from. When you leave one home for another the image of that place remains constant, untainted by the changes that the progression of time brings. Maybe that explains why coming home for long periods of time feels like two worlds are colliding. good thing bad thing?

most common recently asked question, "ready to go back to school?" I can't ever imagine my answer being yes. I love everything about being home. This break has had many highlights and dimlights but I know I could always use more break. However, I have much to look foward to in this Spring semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment