Thursday, January 05, 2006

a creative title for first entry of 2006.............


I've broken another tradition..yet again. In the past I was in the habit of updating resolutions the 2nd day of the year. I can't even remember what happened this year.

Reflections of 2005? It was an amazing year filled with a lot of reality. A lot of change happened that kinda grayed my hair but I guess that happens when you grow up right?

So the first of this year I was thinking about resolutions. A common thought is that making new years resolutions is silly. Sure, maybe you won't always fulfill them but I think that it gives some direction for a new year. Seriously, every new year really sneaks up on me. I thought the world would end after 2004...never imagined life after it...and now it's '06.
I was reading Genesis 26 that day and it talked about Isaac and his people facing a famine. Three things in particular stuck out to me that contributed to my resolutions. The first thing was how Isaac said that Rebekah (his wife) was his sister just like Abraham did with Sarah. Both lied in fear for their lives. The second event that stuck out was how Isaac, like Abraham became extremely wealthy but people envied him; unlike Abraham who was wealthy and spread his wealth with Lot and dispersed. The third thing that stuck out to me was when some men said to Isaac "We saw clearly that the LORD was with you" (vs. 28).

So about that Isaac and Rebekah thing. I find it interesting how history of Abraham's actions (mistake?) repeat itself with Isaac. That reminds me of how often lessons that God teaches us hits us hard in the face. I realize that certain realizations have that effect because we have an inclination to forget what we learn. So this year I want to be more conscious of the things God teaches me so that I won't forget so often and feel like I get slapped everytime.

As for Isaac's wealth. I feel like when we're Christians...we have a lot of wealth. Whether it's the wealth of having that huge banquet in heaven, the simple blessings or even the life lessons we're enlightened with. What good is all that if we hoard and not share with others? I know I let plenty of opportunities slip to share of just a bit of the wealth I possess. It's also come to my realization that God has place many opportunities in the future for me to stop hoarding the wealth...now I guess it's up to me to see what I do with it all. It always comes down to what we do with the good news we possess doesnt it? I feel like God is always waiting for us....when we think we're waiting for him...he's already met us where we're at.

For the last event...I guess the verse just really stuck out to me. ".....We saw clearly that the LORD was with you...." (vs. 28). Isn't that how God's children should be living? I've heard too many times that Christians are no different from nice people. I know I disappoint God with my actions often so that verse was a really good reminder of how to live. So hopefully this year will come with the knowledge of how to live in such a way that others see clearly that the Lord is with me.

somehow thoughts aren't flowing as eloquently through my mind this year. Does two decades really take a toll on the mind and body?

I wish you all a fulfilling 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment