Monday, October 03, 2005

an email i got...

I just returned from New Jersey. While en route there,
I was stuck in traffic on Interstate 81, just below
the Virginia state line, (Bristol, Tennessee), due to
a traffic accident with a fatality involved. This
accident involved a tanker truck hauling a hazardous
material load that developed a leak, which meant that
we weren't going anywhere for several hours.

After being told by the Tennessee state troopers that
we would be sitting still until the clean up was
completed, I set my brakes on the truck and got out to
stretch my legs. Other truck drivers did the same, and
at one point there were 5 of us standing there by my
truck, complaining.

Sitting right beside me in the left lane, were two
elderly people in a Silverado pick up truck, which was
loaded quite well. The man, (Joe), lowered his window
and asked what was going on regarding the traffic
situation.

Soon we were all talking with this couple. I mentioned
that if I had known about this, I would have bought
something to drink, (water), for I was becoming
thirsty. The lady, (Anna), said that they had plenty
of water and sodas in the cooler in the bed of the
truck, and offered everyone present something. While
she was back there, she said that she had plenty of
tuna salad made up, and asked if we would be
interested in a sandwich.

After some urging from Joe, we agreed to a sandwich.
While Anna was making the sandwiches on the tailgate
of the truck, she was singing like a songbird. To be
close to 70, (I guess), she had a remarkable voice.

When she finished making the sandwiches, and putting
everything up, Joe raised the tailgate of the truck to
close it. I noticed a Mississippi license plate on it.
I inquired as to what part of Mississippi they were
from. Joe said Biloxi. Knowing that Biloxi had been
ravaged also by hurricane Katrina, I asked if they
sustained any damage. Joe said that they lost
everything but what they had on and what was in the
pickup. All of us drivers tried unsuccessfully to pay
them for their drinks and the sandwiches. They would
have nothing to do with it. Joe said that their son
was living around Harrisonburg, Virginia and that they
were going there. He was in the real estate business
and that there was a home that became open, and that
they were going to start all over there. Staring over
at their age would not be easy.

I will soon be 48 years old, and I have to say that I
have never eaten a tuna sandwich with side orders of
reality and humility. These people lost everything
except the pictures, important documents, and some
clothes. Joe had managed to get their antique heirloom
grandfather clock into the bed of the truck and Anna
got her china and silverware, but that was all. These
wonderful people lost practically everything they
owned and still would not accept any money for their
food and drinks. Joe said "it was better to give than
it is to receive." They sought refuge behind a block
wall that he had built years ago, and they watched
their belongings and their home disappear in the winds
of Hurricane Katrina. Joe said that during all this he
had one hand holding onto Anna and the other holding
on to God. Their truck and themselves came out of
Katrina unscathed.

As I stated before, Anna was singing a song while
making the sandwiches. The song is titled "I know who
holds tomorrow," an old gospel song. She knew every
word, and was quite a gifted singer of it. Have you
ever heard it?

The chorus of this song is, "Many things, about
tomorrow, I don't seem to understand. But I know who
holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand."

There is no doubt, in my mind, who was holding both
their hands. I know there have been many, many emails
that have circulated over the years about things that
will touch your heart, but this one I personally was
involved in.

Forget all of the politics that the news is striving
on, and think about people just like Joe and Anna. If
you can, help out with the victim’s relief funds.

If you cannot, at least offer a prayer for everyone.

Do what you wish with this email, forward it, delete
it, whatever. I know that these two elderly people got
to this old boy. I will always remember them. Joe and
Anna, if by some strange way you, or someone you know
gets this, and shows it to you, God Bless you!

Mike Dowdy

Hartselle, Alabama

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment