Monday, October 04, 2004

(working on stats hw and suddenly weather bug signals that the temperature is now 67 degrees outside. Juice turns to window and touches it)

Juice: It's cold *with an imp of cool weather anticipation*
Oph: Dear Lord please make it cold
Juice: Yes, I want to wear a jacket

It's less funny written out. I guess you just had to hear her interesting voice. My roomate is cool but I bet all our neighbors think we're strange....We have this tendency to say random things to our computers, don't deny it, you've done it before. I guess when you live with someone you come to discover all their strange quirks.

food for thought....
Today in my intro to sw class, we had a really interesting speaker. Basically the speaker came and shared with us about the agency that she works at. The work the speaker deals with includes those of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transexuals (glbt). The speaker was a lesbian and a co-teacher here at the university. One of the first things she addressed was how some people who are biological women, but lesbian, are offended when you call them a "she" "lady" "miss", so social workers have to learn the language of their clients and not place gender labels on them. An interesting fact about marriage licenses is that it gives you 1049 rights which non male and female couples are not entitled to. For example, if someone is sick, their partner is not allowed to go and see them, unlike married couples. If a GLBT couple gets married, they have to pay $10 for a name change, where as people with legal marriage certificates get them for free. When filing taxes, they have to say that they are single thus disabling social security benefits and many other major issues.

I admit that this makes going into the social work profession difficult. I'm not a glbt basher, but what do I really think about the issue? What do you think about gay rights? Being in this intro class has been great, it's helped me think about some of the issues that I'll be dealing with and struggling to find where my stance is now before I dig deeper into the profession. It's no joke when they say it's hard being a Christian social worker. I'm not even a social worker yet and I can see the trials that potentially lay ahead. I think it's important that people know what they stand for and not be afraid to ask awkward questions; that's how society progresses sometimes. But as a Christian, it's even more important to be grounded in the word and know what your faith is, what you really believe. If only the Lord made everything black and white, then life wouldn't be such a struggle. In a society that is rapidly changing, causing people to be okay with the way of the world, we need to learn to pray BIG prayers....cuz a pretty BIG God is listening. I know it's a touchy subject, but what does God think about gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals? Please comment.



No comments:

Post a Comment