Monday, July 04, 2005

a quiet strength.....

I watched Beauty and the Beast yesterday. What a great movie. I've almost forgotten how wonderful Disney classics are. Although, I have to say...Belle's dress was pretty scandalous. When I was in kindergarten, Beauty and the Beast was my favorite movie...and I think it still is. I remember when I use to watch it...I could recite the entire movie....and I would count how many times a year I'd watch it. back in 1990 the count was 32.

Watching it now, I realize what a great message the movie presents. It connected well with the topic discussed in my sunday school class. On sunday our topic was gentleness. We talked about how gentleness means quiet strength, a means of self-control. This aspect of the fruit of the spirit was evident in the film.

Can you imagine falling in love with a beast? This movie teaches the importance of never judging one's character by outer appearance. After taking the time to get to know the Beast better, Belle's eyes were opened to his kindness and gentleness beneith the claws, teeth, and hairiness. When the town's people saw him, they assumed that he was a monster out to kidnap their children in the night. You know what they say, never judge a book by its cover.

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes." 1 Peter 3:3-4

Initially the Beast was so ill tempered and everyone was telling him to "control your temper." I find that the message here is to practice speaking gentle words because words are quite powerful, whether they are harsh or gentle. When the Beast asked Belle to dinner on her first night to the castle, he was yelling stuff like "that's not a request" "then go ahead and starve." Such comments proved rude and inconsiderate causing Belle to decline the command to dinner. In this situation, things might have turned out differently.

"Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone." Proverbs 25:15

And ultimately, this movie teaches us that gentleness isn't a powerful quality only found in women. Men should pratice it too...just look at the Beast...he landed himself in the arms of the woman of his dreams.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." colossians 3:12

This past Sunday our key points on how to acquire gentleness were:
-clothes yourself with gentleness
-practice speaking gentle words
-build a relationship with God because he knows you

"I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve." Jeremiah 17:10

No comments:

Post a Comment