Saturday, March 12, 2005

where to next........


SPRING BREAK! the wildest time of the year.......in south padre

After a long week I am home. Along the way I've encountered some interesting things. I was studying in the piano lounge monday and I ran into this guy that was playing Coldplay pieces on the piano. About an hour of struggling through the pieces (by no means played poorly) he asked me to sing to one of the songs so he could make sure he was playing it right. Since we were the only two in the lounge it was kinda weird, but somehow it sounded like a good alternative to five hours of staring at my course packet. This act was probably the most far out thing I've done in a really long time. It was fun. I must say that singing is therapeutic. maybe that's why people sing in the shower.
Then the both of us go back to studying and this other guy walks into the lounge and he starts blarring classical music really loud with those monster head phones on. Then the coldplay guy goes back to the piano and plays a different song. The monster head phone guy goes up to coldplay guy and asks him how long he's been playing. Coldply guy responds that he has only been playing for TWO WEEKS! this guy was seriously amazing to have been playing for two weeks...but apparently he said his choir background did him some good with the quick self-taught piano skills. simply amazing.

Thursday was the best day ever. All my homework done. Prof Shorkey wasnt there but Prof Grant (whom I've heard many great things about) came to speak in our sw312 class. I think it was meant to be motivational or something...because she totally got me motivated. I think after her whole speech/ lesson, what have you, I was totally excited about going to my sw313 research class. If you've asked me about research class before, I can tell you that it's not that exciting. But as a result of prof Grant I can honestly say I have a deeper appreciation for that area of social work. I'd always known that research is a field essential to social work in order that you can better serve your clients' needs, or just to see if therapy is effective....but I dont feel I learn much from the class. But as I always say, it's a matter of perspective. I'm glad she come to my class and shared sucha firey passion for social work, definitely every little freshmans' encouragement to dig dipper into the field, to be challenged, and to see what we'll be up against.

This week has seriously taken a toll on my old age. I think it's time to just sit back relax and sleep without an alarm to wake me up. party hardy over break? you know it...me and my textbooks kicking it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment